Congenital Heart Defects Facts
- Congenital heart defects (CHDs) are structural problems with the heart present at birth.
- CHDs are the #1 birth defect in the U.S and the #1 cause of birth related infant deaths.
- 1 in every 100 babies is born with CHD, of those 1 in 10 is born with a fatal defect.
- Approximately 1 million American children and adults with CHD and childhood onset heart disease are alive today.
- Despite the high numbers of incidences in CHD’s, funding for pediatric cancer research is 5 times higher than for congenital heart disease.
- In the last 25 years, advances in treatment of heart defects have enabled half a million U.S. children with significant heart defects to survive into adulthood.
Join our TenderHearts’ Yahoo Group
Communicate with other Tender Heart members. This is a great way to ask questions and share information.
AHA Website for Congenital Heart Defects
Interesting information specifically about CHDs.
Build Your Personal Care Notebook
A great site to help you build a medical notebook full of information about your child.
Update your family and friends during hospital stays or outside of the hospital with this easy to use website.
Similar to Care Pages, this site helps you communicate with family and friends in a quick and easy way.
Book List for a Hospital Stay (PDF FILE - 28 kb)
Member Advice for Preparing for a Hospital Stay (PDF FILE - 24 kb)
TenderHearts and CHDs on the Dr. Libby Show http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5335123527068482952&hl=en
Growing Up with Congenital Heart Defects (PDF FILE - 27 kb)
*Please note: Tender-Heart Kids is not responsible for any content displayed on other websites.